Drunken Pears with Marscapone
"The Sexiest Dessert of Them All"Serves 5-7 | Prep Time 10 min. | Cook Time 45 min.
Why I Love This Recipe
A sexy winter/fall dessert that will just dazzle the guests.
Ingredients You'll Need
-1 bottle of cheap red wine (such as cabernet or merlot)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 long strip orange peel (1 by 4-inch)
- 1 large orange, juiced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 firm, ripe Bosc pears
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For the Pears: Combine wine, sugar, orange peel, orange juice, cinnamon stick and cloves in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes (this is called poaching).
2.While poaching liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving the stem intact and being careful not to bruise the pears.
3.Slice a small amount from the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom if necessary so the pears stand upright.
4. Gently place the pears in the poaching liquid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes (depending upon size), turning every 5 minutes with a slotted spoon to ensure even color. Pears should be cooked but still firm.
5. Cool at room temperature, turning occasionally to ensure even color.
When the pears have cooled to room temperature, refrigerate in the liquid at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours, turning occasionally to maintain even color.
6. To serve: Remove pears from poaching liquid and place on a serving plate.
7.Strain poaching liquid and place back in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until reduced by at least half. Liquid should be slightly syrupy. Let cool to room temperature.
8. Drizzle pears with sauce and serve with Vanilla Mascarpone Whipped Cream.
For the Whipped Cream:Combine cream, mascarpone, sugar and whip-it like your life depends on it! Keep whipping it and it will start to rise (it always take more time than you think it will - I highly suggest a electric beater or a team to pass this around to whip by hand with).