Why I Love This Recipe
You know I love Mexican food! I was working in an office and my coworker was from Mexico and she was always bringing in wonderful food. One day, she brought in a spicy chicken empanada. It was heavenly. I asked for the dough recipe and she didn't know so I looked up a few and this one is my favorite! Turns out the coworker would go to a woman's house and bring back food :) I
These are so easy and you can make them savory or sweet.
Ingredients You'll Need
•3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup cold water
•1 egg white
•1 teaspoon vinegar
•3 tablespoons shortening (I used butter flavored, same kind I use when I make flour tortillas)
1. In a bowl, beat the water, egg, egg white and vinegar together. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the 3 cups of flour and salt.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour mix with a pastry blender or two butter knives. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and pour the liquid ingredients from the first bowl into the center.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients with a fork until it becomes stiff.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it just until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
6. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but never more than 24 hours.
7. After resting period, you are ready to make empanadas! Roll out into 6" circle and fill with your favorite type of filling. ( usually go for shredded chicken and Mexican melting cheese. )
8. Crimp the edges with a fork and place in a pan of hot oil. Fry until golden brown and then turn. Drain on paper towels and enjoy!
Tip: If you want to keep the dough longer than 24 hours, you can freeze it.