Eva Longoria's Tortilla Soup
Why I Love This Recipe
In May 2005, Latina Magazine published Eva Longoria’s recipe for this tasty favorite. I like tortilla soup in broth as opposed to a tomato-based, cheesy sauce. This one is definitely for broth lovers like me. I don’t like sour cream in my soup, so I omit the ingredient altogether. It feels lighter and healthier without. I also use a smaller amount of fried tortilla strips. Either way, you’ll love this soup.
Just a friendly reminder: This recipe requires the handling of chiles. As In the case of any other time you work with fresh chiles, DO NOT touch your eyes!
Ingredients You'll Need
2 ancho chiles
2 pasilla chiles
4 medium, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
2 qrt chicken broth (I use Trader Joe’s low sodium version)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 bunch fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
Corn or canola oil for frying
15 corn tortillas cut into thin strips
3 diced avocados
1 pkg queso fresco, crumbled
1 8 oz. container sour cream (optional)
1. Place chiles in small saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Drain chiles.
Once chiles are cool enough to handle, remove stems and seeds.
2. Place chiles, tomatoes, onions and garlic in bowl of blender or food processor until smooth. You may need to divide mixture into smaller batches.
Tip: If using blender, add a little chicken broth to bowl for moisture, so it blends smoothly.
3. Place tomato mixture in large saucepan, add remaining chicken broth, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chopped cilantro and continue to simmer for additional 5 minutes.
4. While soup simmers, heat approximately 1 inch of oil.
Carefully place tortilla strips in hot oil and fry until crisp and golden brown. (About 5 minutes.)
Important: Do not crowd pan.
Drain fried tortilla strips on plate lined with paper towels.
5. Serve soup garnished with crisp tortilla strips, diced avocados, crumbled queso fresco, and a dollop of sour cream. Mmmmm…Enjoy!
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Mexican