Favorite Apple Pie
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
8 to 10 tart apples cut into ½” slices
1¼ cups brown sugar
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
⅓ cup water
1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup flour
2½ tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1. Combine sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, water, and lemon juice in a large saucepan; cover and simmer slowly until “almost” tender (5 to 7 minutes – do NOT overcook since they cook again later).
2 Blend flour and sugar; add to apples then cook uncovered, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt, and butter; cool.
4. Make crust and topping.
Crust: (makes two crusts, one for bottom and one for top)
2 cups flour
⅔ cup Crisco shortening
¼ cup cool water
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Put flour and Crisco in a bowl; use two kitchen knives to cut it up into pea-size pieces.
3. Add cool water and blend with fork (if too dry, add 1 more teaspoon water – no more).
4. Form a ball; firm it.
5. Sprinkle flour lightly on wax paper, flour a rolling pin, and then roll out dough to ⅛” thick.
6. Roll dough up over rolling pin, unroll into 9” pie shell, and trim edges; bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for the top crust.
3 tablespoons light Karo syrup
⅓ cup pecans, chopped
2+ tablespoons flour
¼ cup brown sugar
2+ tablespoons butter
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Add cooled apple filling to pie pan and top with other crust; seal edges and make slits on top.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
4. Pour topping over hot pie and bake about 5 minutes more