Favorite Chocolate-Fudge Cupcakes
Why I Love This Recipe
I had just paid for our lattes at the historic coffee house in Belfast when I spotted the cupcakes, shining like jewels under a glass dome. I'd painstakingly chosen two of them when my husband drew my attention to a disturbing sight: a photo gallery detailing the building's restoration. Dozens of human skeletons had been found in the basement, victims of Ireland's civil war.
As I contemplated the untold suffering man has inflicted upon man, I absent-mindedly bit into the confection. Moist, spongy cake and silky frosting melted in my mouth. Intrigued, I raised the cupcake to eye level. It wore a glorious crown of piped frosting with a whisper of silver, like the proverbial cloud's lining. If sweets could fill us with inner peace, I knew this cupcake could accomplish it.
Although I have experimented with many cupcake recipes, Hershey's is my favorite. Quick, easy and nearly foolproof, it produces a moist cake substantial enough to stand up to heavy frosting.
You can smoothly frost the cupcake tops, but why not try piping them? Pastry bags can be purchased for a few dollars at many craft and grocery stores, and you can easily learn to pipe frosting with these step-by-step instructions. Piped cupcakes add an elegant touch to any occasion. Why not bake a batch today?
Ingredients You'll Need
1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup hot coffee
1. Sift flour, baking powder and soda into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the hot coffee, and blend with hand or stand mixer for 2 minutes.
3. With a spatula, stir hot coffee into cake batter.
4. Pour batter into a large measuring cup and fill lined muffin cups half full.
5. Bake at 350 F for 22-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick tests nearly clean, with just a few crumbs.
6. Cool completely before frosting.