Goat Cheese Arugula Ravioli with Tomato Pancetta Butter
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 T olive oil
3 L shallots
8 oz baby arugula (~ 8 c)
6 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled (~ 1 1/2 c)
1/2 c freshly grated Parm cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
Non stick veg oil spray
42 wonton wrappers (~ one 12 oz pkg)
2 L egg whites, whisked until foamy
Tomato pancetta butter:
6 oz thinly sliced pancetta or bacon, coarsely chopped
1/4 c butter
6 L plum tomatoes, quartered, seeds and membranes discarded, diced
1 t chopped fresh thyme
1) Heat oil in heavy large skillet over med heat. Add shallots, saute 10 minutes. Add arugula; toss until wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. Transfer arugula mix to L bowl to cool. Mix in goat cheese and Parm cheese. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper
2) Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with heavy duty aluminum foil; spray with PAM. Place 4 wonton wrappers on work surface; cover remaining wrappers with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Lightly brush entire surface of each wrapper wtih egg white. Spoon 1 generous teaspoon filling into center of each wrapper. Fold wrappers diagonally in half, forming triangles. Press edges firmly to seal. Arrange ravioli in single layer on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Can be made and refrigerated in plastic wrap 1 day ahead.)
2) Saute chopped pancetta in large skillet over med-hi heat until crisp and brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 T drippings from skillet. Add butter to drippings in skillet; melt over med-hi heat. Add tomatoes and thyme; saute until tomatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) Place melted butter (5T total) in large bowl. Cook half of ravioli in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 4 minutes. Using large strainer, transfer ravioli to colander and drain, then place in bowl with butter and toss to coat. Cover to keep warm. Cook remaining ravioli in same pot of boiling water. Drain and add to bowl of buttered ravioli. Toss gently to coat.
4) Divide ravioli among shallow bowls. Rewarm tomato butter over med heat. Add reserved pancetta and basil leaves; saute 1 minute. Spoon sauce over ravioli, garnish with thyme sprigs.