Good Beef Stock
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 pounds beef bones with marrow (without meat)
4 quarts water
3 large carrots, unpeeled and scrubbed
5 celery stalks plus leaves
3 medium onions, unpeeled (leave on outer skin)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put bones in a large baking pan and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Cut vegetables into chunks (washed only). Remove 90% of fat from pan then add unpeeled scrubbed
vegetables and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven and add 1 cup of water to pan;
scrape loose the bits and pieces.
4. Put 4 quarts of water in a large pot; add scrapings from pan, bones, and vegetables. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 4 to 6 hours.
5. Using a colander inserted over a very large bowl, pour in pot contents; remove bones. Over the bowl,
squeeze out all juice from vegetables; discard vegetables. Add salt to taste (not much), cool, refrigerate,
and then skim fat off next day if desired.