Healthy Butternut Squash Soup
"Healthy, clean-eating fall soup"Serves 6 | Prep Time 15 Minutes | Cook Time 1 Hour
Why I Love This Recipe
A warming and healthy fall harvest soup, perfect as temperatures are dropping. The ingredients are in season, making it even tastier! Soups are a favorite because they are easily modified to personal preference by adding or reducing quantities of spices and other ingredients. And the texture, or liquidity can also be modified by adding or reducing broth or coconut milk.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup White or Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Medium Apple
2,5 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
4 Cups Vegetable Broth
1 Tbsp Curry Powder
1 Cinnamon Stick, or a pinch of ground cinnamon
1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Optional: 1/3 Cup raw, unsalted and shelled pumpkin seeds, fresh herbs for topping
1. Cook onion, garlic and apple in a pot in olive oil over medium heat until browned.
2. Add all ingredients except coconut, salt and pepper.
3. Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick, and cool for at least 30 minutes until cool enough to blend.
4. Add batches of squash mixture to a power blender and puree.
5. When ready to serve, return blended soup to pot, add coconut milk, and heat until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Optional: Roast the pumpkin seeds in a pan on medium heat and/ or roughly chop fresh herbs for topping.
Pairs Well With
Fresh sourdough bread