Italian Pasta Faggioli Soup
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound mild or spicy ground turkey or chicken sausage (casings removed)
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
3 medium carrots, finely diced
2 medium celery ribs, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
14.5 ounces canned cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 ounces canned red kidney beans rinsed and drained 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
16 ounces tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
4 ounces (1 cup) dried pasta, such as elbow macaroni or ditalini
3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary, and parsley then cook, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
4. Add the broth, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Next, stir in the pasta. Simmer for 9-10 minutes until pasta is al dente. (Tender but still firm to the bite... this cook time will vary depending on the pasta you use.)
6. The soup will thicken a bit by the time the pasta is cooked. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
7. Remove the soup from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. If the soup seems too thick, gradually add water or more chicken stock and thin to desired consistency (note: the longer it sits on the stove, the thicker it will get). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with more cheese, if desired, and finish with crushed red pepper if you'd like to add more kick!