Italian Sausage Soup
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
* 2 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
* 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
* 2 cups baby spinach leaves
* 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.
While the sausage is browning, start a separate pot and boil water for pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta until al dente.
Add broth and tomatoes to the saucepan with the sausage in it and bring to a boil over over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted.
Add desired amount of pasta to the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle sausage soup on top. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.