Jabchae (Korean glass noodle with beef and vegetables)
Why I Love This Recipe
Submitted by Carolyn Rios Lee
1. You can also use other vegetables such as green onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, etc. Feel free to add or substitute any of the vegetables.
2. To make it simpler, instead of sautéing each ingredients separately, you can sauté them together. Start with meat and shitake mushroom. When the meat is cooked, add vegetables. Add vegetables that take longer to cook first: add onion, then carrot, then button mushroom. Sauteing each ingredient separately and then mix them all together is the authentic way but this short cut method should not make that much difference in the end result.
Ingredients You'll Need
5 dried shitake mushrooms, hydrated by soaking in water and thinly sliced
6 ounces beef (any lean cut such as rib eye, round, London broil), cut into thin strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 ounces button mushroom, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, julienned
8 ounces sweet potato noodle (aka glass noodle or “dangmyun”)
1 bunch spinach
Soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper
Preparation of Ingredients:
1. Soak dried shitake mushroom in hot water. Set aside and let soak for 30 minutes until soft. Squeeze water out and cut into thin strips.
2. Slice beef into thin strips (about ¼ inch) and mix with ½ Tbsp soy sauce, ½ Tbsp sesame oil and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Set aside.
3. Cut onion into thin strips.
4. Cut button mushroom into thin slices.
5. Cut carrots into thin strips.
1. Cook the noodles in 8 cups boiling water according to package directions (about 5 minutes or until the noodles become clear and soft). They should be soft but chewy. Do not overcook. Drain, rinse in cold water and let drain thoroughly. (Save the hot water to blanch spinach later ).
2. Place the noodle in a big bowl and cut several times with scissors (so they are easier to eat). Add 1Tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp sesame oil, mix and set aside.
3. Boil the saved hot water again and quickly blanch spinach. Rinse in cold water, drain and gently squeeze out water. Cut into 2 inch pieces. Add ½ Tbsp soy sauce and ½ Tbsp sesame oil, mix well and add to the noodle in the big bowl.
4. Heat skillet over medium heat and sauté onion in a few drops of vegetable oil and pinch of salt for 1 minute or just until translucent. Do not add too much salt because you will season the whole mix at the end. Add to the big bowl.
5. Saute button mushroom with a pinch of salt for 30 seconds. Add to the big bowl.
6. Saute carrot with pinch of salt for 1 minute or just until soft. Add to the big bowl.
7. Stir fry marinated beef together with shitake mushroom strips until cooked well and most of the liquid is evaporated. Add to the big bowl.
8. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 1tsp black pepper and mix all ingredients well. Adjust the amount of seasoning to taste.