Jaime at Home Meat Pie Recipe
Why I Love This Recipe
*Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry (get enough to do top and bottom of pan you are baking the final product in. I didn't... and it was more pastry meat stew.
There's a recipe for pastry here... as you can tell, I bought pastry. Uh... do as you will, but I say just buy it.
Ingredients You'll Need
• 3 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
• 2Tbls butter, plus extra for greasing
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
• 4 field mushrooms, peeled and sliced (portabella, something nice)
• 2lbs (or a little more) of beef or stewing beef, cut into cubes
• a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Pint of Guinness (no lager, please!)
• 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
• 7oz freshly grated Cheddar cheese
• 18oz best-quality ready-made all-butter puff pastry
• 1 large free-range or organic egg, beaten
Top with water, almost/not covering meat.
350degrees for 2 hours
What you want here is dryish stew when done.
Mix in 1/2 cup cheese - mix it in
1/2 cup saved for on top.
Roll the pastry out put in bottom of pot. fill with meat stew, put leftover cheese on top, cover with pastry.
Bake in oven 40-50 minute in the "pie" at 350degrees