Why I Love This Recipe
This famous Newfoundland dish features boiled potatoes, turnips, carrots, peas and cabbage together with salted beef and roasted turkey or pork. Most would even recommend tacking on a side of pickled beets, stuffing and buns. Talk about a comforting Canadian feast!
This recipe was developed by Chef Alexandra Feswick.
Photo: Drake Hotel Properties
Ingredients You'll Need
½ lb(s) salt beef
¼ head cabbage, quartered
2 medium turnips
4 medium carrots, chopped in chunks
6 - 8 small potatoes, halved
1 cup yellow split peas
1. Soak salt beef over night by covering the beef with cold water submerged by a few inches of water. The next day, discard the soaking water.
2. Soak split peas over night with 3 cups of water.
3. Place beef in a stock pot and fill with water.
4. Drain split peas and place in a pudding bag, be sure to tie tight! (Alternatively, you can use cheese cloth instead of a pudding bag if unavailable).
5. Boil both the beef and the peas for 1.25 hours.
6. Add the quartered cabbage.
7. 10 minutes later, add the turnips and cabbage.
8. 10 minutes after that, add the potatoes.
9. Remove the split peas and mash with approx. 1 Tbsp of butter and salt and pepper to taste.