LIÈGE WAFFLES submitted by Emily Ellis Trementozzi Anderlecht, Belgium s trementozzi
"Missionary in Belgium"Serves 10 | Prep Time 15 min | Cook Time 3 min
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is from missionaries in Belgium
Ingredients You'll Need
• 5 cups plain (all purpose) flour
• pinch of salt
• pinch of round cinnamon
• 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
• ½ sachet of vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 eggs at room temperature
• ½ cup lukewarm milk
• 1 tsp clear honey
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1 – 1 ½ cups pear sugar *
1. Mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla sugar, if using the sugar.
2. Beat the eggs, milk, honey, and vanilla extract, if using, in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid. Gradually beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have made a stiff batter. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Beat the butter into the dough a little at a time until all of it has been incorporated.
4. Add the sugar pearl and mix until evenly distributed, then continue to work the dough until it forms a soft and sticky ball. Put it in a greased bowl, cover and leave overnight in the refrigerator.
5. Next day pinch off 3 ½ oz pieces of dough and form into balls. Heat a waffle iron and brush lightly with butter or oil.
6. Place the dough balls on your waffle iron leaving room for them to spread. Cook for 3 minutes or the time recommended on your machine. The waffles should be dark brown.
• If you cannot find pear sugar in your local Aldi or Lidl, you can order it through Amazon. Another alternative is to find loaf sugar and crush it into tiny chunks.
Pairs Well With