Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
• 8 oz (227 g) fresh crimini mushrooms
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• Salt and pepper
• 1 lb (500 g) ground lamb
• 4 tbsp (60 mL) tomato paste
• 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
• 1 tsp (5 mL) nutmeg
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian herbs
• 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) whole tomatoes• 1/2 cup (125 mL) red wine • 1 bay leaf
• 1 lb (500g) dried spaghetti
• Freshly grated parmesan cheese
• Fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Place mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
2. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add carrots and celery and sauté until they start to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add ground lamb and cook until browned, approximately 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cinnamon, nutmeg and Italian herbs. Stir until well combined.
4. Add tomatoes to the pan, breaking them up with a spatula. Add red wine and stir until well combined. Add bay leaf. Lower heat to low, place lid on pot and simmer 2 hours. Stir occasionally to ensure bottom does not burn.
5. Remove lid and taste sauce; season with salt and pepper as needed. Continue to simmer on low with the lid removed; sauce will begin to thicken.
6. Meanwhile prepare spaghetti as per package directions. Serve the sauce over the pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and finely chopped parsley.