Lasagna number ONE
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
1½ pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon each of oregano, pepper, sugar, and salt
½ teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper
2 teaspoon basil
1 (1-pound) box lasagna noodles
1 (15-ounce) container Ricotta cheese
2 cups (½ -pound) mozzarella, grated
¾ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
1. In a large saucepan, cook the onions 3 to 4 minutes in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil and reduce heat to “simmer.” Add all of the seasonings except the basil.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, brown the meat about 5 minutes. Drain off the fat then add the sauce to the skillet; simmer for 1 to 2 hours. Add the basil for the last 10 minutes.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pot of boiling water; add the lasagna noodles, cook about 7 minutes, and the drain the noodles well.
4. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
5. Brush a 13x9 glass baking dish with olive oil. Put one layer of noodles in the bottom of the baking dish; cover the noodles with ¼ inch of sauce and dot with half of the container of Ricotta. Add a second layer of noodles, sauce, remaining Ricotta, and a last layer of noodles. Cover the last layer of noodles with sauce then top with grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
6. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil then bake another 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is browned.
7. Let the lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving.