Lemony Sage and Basil-Flecked Cookies
Why I Love This Recipe
Winner of the Freixenet contest.
They sound different, not sure how I'll like them; but they do intrigue me.
Recipe submitted by: Janice Elder
Ingredients You'll Need
- 1 cup sugar, divided usage
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- Additional granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Garnish – julienne basil or sage leaves or strips of lemon zest
Process 1/4 cup of the sugar, basil and sage in a food processor until very well blended; reserve.
Mix together flour, baking powder and salt; reserve.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese.
Add remaining 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy.
Add egg, lemon juice and zest;
gradually add flour and basil/sugar mixtures. Chill dough for 1 hour.
Shape into 1-inch balls.
Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 12 minutes, or until set.
Remove to wire racks.
Whisk together glaze ingredients; spread over cooled cookies.
Garnish with basil, sage or lemon zest.