Lightning Style: The 40-Minute Coconut Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
Our coconut cake is a version of the wildly popular Lightening Cake—a recipe every 1940’s homemaker knew by heart. Most sources attribute the original Lightning cake to the Fannie Farmer Cookbook, published in 1942, but many versions of this basic recipe have been passed from one generation of bakers to the next since then. We applied the same simple goodness to our coconut cake recipe. With just a few adjustments, the old fashion standard has been updated to a healthier and “coconuttier” snack cake you can bake in the blink of an eye. Or in the flash on a lightning bolt as the case may be.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup Coco Treasure’s Organic Coconut Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1 cup Coco Treasure’s Organic Coconut Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
1. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together on a square of wax paper.
3. Heat the milk on medium heat. Do not boil, but bring to a full simmer. Remove from heat and add unrefined organic extra virgin coconut oil.
4. Place the eggs in a bowl or stand mixer. Beat until thick, adding the sugar a little at a time. The eggs should be fluffy and smooth. Add the flavorings.
5. Slowly stir in the flour mixture. Stream in the hot milk next.
6. Add shredded coconut.
7. No not over stir! Mix the ingredients just enough to blend everything thoroughly.
8. Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cake should feel springy in the center when touched. A pick inserted into the center should come out clean.
9. Serve this coconut cake without frosting. If you just must put something on the top, sprinkle a light dusting of powdered sugar or more shredded coconut over the cake. Plain or embellished, it will be gone quick as lightning!
Questions, Comments & Reviews
The Official "Burnt" Movie CookbookBy Burnt Movie Cookbook
7 Recipes51222 Downloads