Maple-and-apple Braised Australian Lamb Shoulder Chops
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
• 8 Australian lamb shoulder chops
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup apple juice
• ½ cup chicken stock
• 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice or cider vinegar
• 1 large green apple, peeled and thinly sliced
• 8-10 seeded prunes, sliced
OPTIONAL, TO SERVE
• mashed potato or squash
1. Trim the chops of external fat and season to taste. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan and sauté the chops on a high heat for 2 minutes each side or until browned.
2. Combine the apple juice, stock, maple syrup and lemon juice and add to the pan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over a low heat for 30-40 minutes or until lamb is very tender. Remove lamb from pan, cover with foil and keep warm.
3. Boil the remaining juices until thick and syrupy. Return the lamb for a few minutes to heat through and coat well with the sauce. Serve the lamb chops on the mashed potatoes or squash and spoon over the sauce, apples and prunes.