Mexican Lentils, Black Beans & Rice
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed, drained
¼ tsp ground chipotle powder (or 1 diced chipotle from a can)
1 cilantro bunch, chopped finely
½ cup frozen corn, defrosted
½ cup French green lentils, rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 4oz can green chiles
½ cup diced tomatoes, fire roasted
½ yellow onion, diced
1 small zucchini, diced or shredded
½ cup long grain brown rice
1 tsp chili powder
Salt/pepper to taste
½ tsp ground cumin
1 cup red enchilada sauce (any spicy red sauce will do, or a little salsa)
2-3 cups vegetable stock
¾ cup shredded cheese
1. Heat 1 ½ cups broth to boiling and cook rice for approx. 20-30 minutes until tender (add stock or water if it boils off before done)
2. Heat 1 ½ cups broth to boiling and cook lentils for approx. 20-30 minutes until tender (add stock or water if it boils off before done)
(Cook both at the same time in separate pots)
While these are boiling, you can chop veggies and rinse/drain beans.
3. Heat large pot or large skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and onion and garlic.
4. Sauté onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add to skillet corn, tomatoes, chiles, zucchini and saute until warmed through about 5 minutes.
6. Drain lentils and rice if any liquid leftover.
7. Season rice/lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder.
8. Combine rice/lentils with veggies in large pot or skillet and mix well.
9. Add enchilada sauce or salsa, ½ of the cheese and finally the cilantro. Mix well until cheese is melted.
10. Top with remaining cheese and cover with lid.
11. Heat on low until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
12. Taste and add salsa, cumin, spices if you like it more spicy.
(You can make it without the chili powder, chipotle for a less spicy version for children and then add the spicy items afterward.)