Mexican Rice Casserole
Why I Love This Recipe
Here's a mexican spin off of a cajun jambalaya I concocted after realizing I needed to use up canned goods in my pantry:
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium sized green pepper, chopped
1 can mexican black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can of sweet yellow corn, drained
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1- 2 sliced jalepeno peppers
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 packet of SAZON GOYA brand seasoning (coriander & annatto)
2 cups long grain rice
1.5 cups water
1. saute meats in oil until browned, remove from pan.
2. in drippings, saute garlic, onionns, green pepper and tomatoes in oil to make a sofrito.
3. add all the seasonings
4. add the meat
5. add the corn and beans
6. add the rice
7. add the water
8. stir pot, cover and let simmer on medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
9. reduce heat to low simmer for another 10-15 minutes - covered!
10. turn off heat and keep cover on for another 10-15 minutes
11. fluff and serve.
** when serving, you can top with some cheese, black olives and sliced green onion if you'd like