Monkfish Stew in White Wine Sauce
Why I Love This Recipe
The best part of this recipe is the stew that the fish is cooked in. I recommend you serve this stew with an awesome freshly baked crusty bread to use to mop up the sauce from the bottom of your bowl.
Ingredients You'll Need
1-2 lb. monkfish, cut into cubes
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 glass white wine
3 tbsp. tomato puree
1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
6 oz peeled and cooked prawns
10-12 black olives, pitted
1. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a pan and soften the garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, wine and basil and simmer until thickened.
3. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and fry the monkfish quickly to seal it. The idea is to not cook it throughly but just enough so the fish will not fall apart in the stew too much.
4. Add the monkfish and oil to the tomato sauce and simmer gently for about 5 minutes or until monkfish is cooked thoroughly.
5. Add the prawns and olives and continue simmering the stew for 10-15 minutes.
6. Serve with some fresh crusty bread to mop up the sauce.