Why I Love This Recipe
"Mutton Raan" is a delicacy of Lucknow cuisine. It is prepared with mutton leg (back leg is preferred). Traditionally it is prepared on coal fire but now a days it is generally prepared on very low flame of gas.
Ingredients You'll Need
Mutton leg 1kg
Raw papaya (kachcha papita), grated 100 grams
Roasted gram flour (besan) 1 table spoon
Clarified butter ( ghee) ½ cup
Salt (namak) to taste
Curd (dahi) 1 cup
Saffron (kesar) a pinch
Spices to grind 1
Onions (payaz) sliced 2 cups
Ginger-garlic (adrakh-lahsan) paste 4 table spoons
Cashew nuts (kaju) ½ cup
Poppy seeds (khushus) 2 table spoons
Desiccated coconut (nariyel) 4 table spoons
Whole Red chilli (lal mirch) 3-4
Turmeric powder (haldi) ½ tea spoon
Almonds (badam) 5-6
Roasted Peanuts (moongphali) ½ cup
Spices to grind 2
Green cardamom (elaichi) 3-4
Brown Cardamoms (moti elaichi) 2
Peppercorns (kali mirch) 5-6
Cloves (laung) 4-5
Nutmeg (jaiphal), grated ½ tea spoon
Mace (javitri) 1 blade
Stone flower (patther phool) pinch
• Trim all fat from the lamb. Using a small sharp knife, make deep incisions all over it.
• Then apply grated raw papaya and a teaspoon of salt on the mutton leg.
• Rub it so that the papaya juice penetrates the meat. Marinate for 2 hours.
Preparation of Spices & Marination
• Fry sliced onions to a golden brown colour and remove it from flame.
• Let it become little cool, then add garlic and ginger in it and then grind it into smooth paste.
• Take whole red chilli, Kashmiri red chilli, cashew nuts, almonds, peanuts, desiccated coconut and poppy seeds in blender jar and make a smooth paste and set aside.
• Now take curd, turmeric powder, saffron, roasted gram flour and salt in a big bowl and mix it well.
• Add onion mixture and nuts paste mixture in curd mixture and mix everything.
• Apply this mixture on mutton leg, rubbing the marinade well so that it coats the leg evenly. Keep aside for 2 hours.
• Now take “spices for grind 2” in a blender jar and grind them to a smooth paste and apply this on mutton leg and keep it in fridge for 8- 10 hours.
• Place a thick bottom pan on a slow coal fire.
• Pour ghee and place marinated mutton with all the marinade in it.
• Cover with a lid and place live coal on it and put it on dum for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and turn the mutton, cover and cook for 15 minutes or till the meat is tender.
• Remove pan from fire and serve hot with sheermal, nan or Roti.