Oatmeal Cookies Three Ways
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
* 2 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 eggs
* 1/4 cup milk
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups rolled oats
1. In an extra-large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and baking soda; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the rolled oats.
2. Divide dough into three equal portions. Choose one of the variations below to add to each portion of dough. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden but centers are soft. Cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes: 96 cookies
4. Spicy Raisin Rounds: Stir in 1 cup raisins or currants, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 249 cal., 10 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 38 mg chol., 149 mg sodium, 38 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 3 g pro.
5. Nutty Brickle Chippers: Stir in 1 cup chopped chocolate-covered English toffee or semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or hazelnuts (filberts). Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 273 cal., 13 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 38 mg chol., 149 mg sodium, 36 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 3 g pro.
6. Candy Cookies: Stir in 1 cup snipped or chopped gumdrops or candy-coated milk chocolate pieces. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 257 cal., 10 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 38 mg chol., 151 mg sodium, 40 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 3 g pro.