"Flavorful Indian street food"Serves 4-5 | Prep Time 10- 15 minutes | Cook Time 15-20 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
Pav bhaji is an iconic dish from Mumbai and hugely popular all over India. Pav means bread rolls. Bhaji is the marathi word for vegetables or a vegetable based dish (dry or gravy). Since both the bhaji (vegetable gravy) and pav are served together, hence the name ‘Pav bhaji‘. The taste of the pav bhaji of the streets in India is honestly so unbeatable but I think this comes pretty close.
Ingredients You'll Need
3 medium potatoes
1 cup mixed vegetables(peas, beans,carrots)
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
2 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Red chilli powder to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons pav bhaji masala
Red food colouring(optional)
Pav bread( dinner rolls)
1. First, put the 1 inch cube potatoes, mixed veggies, cauliflower and any other veggies of choice into pressure cooker with water and a teaspoon of salt. They should be cooked until tender ( about 6 whistles)
2. Once cooked wait for all the steam to leave the cooker, the open it and mash all the vegetables to the texture you prefer.
3. Heat a pan and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter. Now add the cumin seeds, one they pop add the onions, chillie powder, turmeric, pav bhaji masala and tomato paste. Saute until onion is translucent.
4. Add finely chopped tomato and a pinch of salt to speed the melting of tomatoes.
5. Once all the masala is well mixed add about a cup of the mashed veggies to the pan and mix thoroughly with the masala.
6. Once the masala is well mixed with the vegetables add that mixture to the cooker and mix.
7. Bring the cooker on the flame and allow everything to boil until it the consistency is not to thick not thin.
8. At this point you can taste test, add salt or red chilli powder to taste. You can also add in red food colouring if you want that deep orangey red color.
9. Now toast the pav bread( dinner roll) being generous with the butter
10. To garnish the bhaji, put it onto a bowl add finely chopped onion and coriander on top as well as a generous heap of butter.