Peanut Butter Scotcharoos
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
6 cups puffed rice cereal, like Rice Krispies
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1. Get everything ready: Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and coat it evenly with non-stick spray. Then measure the puffed rice into a large mixing bowl. Measure the sugar and corn syrup into a medium saucepan. Combine the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a heatproof bowl and set aside
2. Bring the sugar and corn syrup to boil: Set the pan with sugar and corn syrup over medium heat. Stir to form a sandy past, the stop stirring. Let the mixture come to a boil – as it warms, the sugar will dissolve and become clear. Once the mixture is at a full boil, remove the pan from heat.
3. Stir in the peanut butter: While the syrup is still very hot, stir in the peanut butter to form a thick, glossy sauce
4. Pour the peanut butter sauce over the puffed rice: Pour a little sauce over the puffed rice, stir it in, then pour a little more. Continue until all the sauce has been added. Continue to gently stir the puffed rice another few seconds until the cereal is evenly coated and no pockets of sauce remain.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to the baking dish: butter your or spray with a little oil, and press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan
6. Melt the chocolate chips: melt the chips in the microwave on high and stir. Use a spatula to scrape the melted chocolate onto the bars and smooth into an even layer.
7. Cool until the chocolate becomes firm: let the bars firm up for a few hours before serving.