Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into ½” pieces
6 tablespoons dry sherry
6 tablespoons soy sauce
2¾ teaspoons salt, divided
¾ cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup oil
2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks in own juice (reserve juice)
1 cup ketchup
5 tablespoons brown sugar
½ cup + 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 large green peppers, sliced
2 cans sliced water chestnuts
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, sherry, soy sauce, and ¾ teaspoon salt; toss until well coated then marinate at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
2. In another bowl, combine eggs and ½ cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch; beat until smooth.
3. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium; dip chicken into batter and cook (stirring frequently) until lightly browned and tender (add more oil as needed). Reserve ¼ cup oil.
4. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine pineapple juice, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, ¼ cup cornstarch, and 2 teaspoons salt; set aside.
5. In remaining oil, sauté the green pepper until crispy tender; add water chestnuts, onion, pineapple, and tomatoes. Cook until heated through. Add sauce and cook until thickened. Add chicken and heat through.
6. Serve over rice.