"A great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, as well as the perfect excuse to make mashed potatoes."Serves 12 | Prep Time 15 | Cook Time 12
Why I Love This Recipe
This is one of my grandmother's "tried and true" recipes. It's easy to change the scones from sweet to savoury and play around with the add-in ingredients.
Submitted by: "Cally Wilson"
Ingredients You'll Need
1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Butter or Shortening
1/4 cup Currents or Raisins (*If you don’t like sweet scones, reduce the sugar by half and add cheese instead of raisins)
1/3 cup Milk
1 whole Egg + 1 Yolk (use the extra white to brush top of scones before baking)
1/3 cup Mashed Potatoes
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Cut in butter
- Add in raisins (or Cheese) and mix with a fork
- Mix milk and egg + yolk together, then stir into dry ingredients
- Add mashed potatoes and stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently 20 times
- Roll into a ½ inch thick circle, brush with egg white (and sprinkle with sugar if you are using the original sweeter recipe)
- Cut into 12 pie shaped wedges and place on ungreased baking sheet
- Bake for 12 minutes at 420 degrees (give or take 5 degrees, depending on your oven)
Pairs Well With