Rachael Ray's Pork Schnitzel with Caramelized-Onion Egg Noodles
Why I Love This Recipe
I found this in Rachael Ray's magazine last month & my family loved it.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
4 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme or poultry seasoning
Four 6- to 8-ounce boneless pork loin chops
Flour, for dredging
2 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Vegetable oil, for frying
Flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (a generous handful)
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
2. While the pasta is working, in a deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, season with salt, pepper and the thyme and cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, 20 minutes; set aside.
3. Place each pork chop between wax paper or plastic wrap and pound with a mallet or small heavy skillet to 1/4-inch thickness. Season the meat with salt and pepper on both sides, then lightly dredge in flour and shake off the excess. Transfer to a plate. In a shallow dish, beat the eggs and cream. On another plate, season the bread crumbs with the nutmeg.
4. Preheat the oven to 250° and place a baking sheet on the middle rack. in a large skillet, heat a 1/4-inch-thick layer of oil over medium heat. Dip the pork chops in the egg, then in the bread crumbs, and fry in the skillet 2 at a time, turning once, until golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining chops.
5. Toss the noodles with the parsley and reserved onions; season with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the pork schnitzel with lemon wedges.