Red Velvet Cupcake
Why I Love This Recipe
Red velvet cupcakes are the most sophisticated of baked treats, with a rich sponge and chocolatey centre
Ingredients You'll Need
For the cupcake
60 g butter
150 g golden caster sugar
1 large egg
10 g cocoa powder
40 ml red food colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
120 ml buttermilk
150 g self-raising flour
For the cream cheese frosting
300 g icing sugar, sifted
50 g butter, at room temperature
125 g full-fat cream cheese, cold
edible glitter, to decorate
1. For the sponge: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole tin with cupcake paper cases. Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electric mixer and beat on medium speed until well combined. Turn the mixer up to a high speed, then gradually add the egg and beat until well mixed, scraping down the bowl as you go.
2. In a mug or small bowl, combine the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a dark paste. Add to the butter mixture and mix in the blender until the batter is evenly coloured. Turn the mixer down to slow speed and slowly pour in half the buttermilk. Beat until well mixed then add half the flour and beat until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this step until all the buttermilk and flour have been added. Scrape down the side of the bowl, then turn the speed up to high and beat for a couple of minutes until you have a smooth mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. For the cream cheese frosting: beat the icing sugar and butter together in an electric mixer until the mixture comes together. Add the cream cheese and beat until thoroughly mixed-in. Continue beating for a few minutes, until the frosting is light and fluffy. Refrigerate until needed.
5. When the sponges have cooled completely, carefully spoon a third of the frosting into a piping bag and use it to decorate the first four cupcakes. Repeat until you have finished them all. Alternatively, just use a palette knife to spread about 2 tbsp of frosting onto each cupcake. Decorate with edible red glitter, if desired.