Rice and Beans
Why I Love This Recipe
Found yummy recipe on website
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup rice ($.20)
2-3 Tbsp oil ($.15) (I used canola to keep the meal GFCFSF!)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried red kidney beans ($.50)
1/2 of a 6 oz can tomato paste (Free! Muir Glen on sale for $.75 and used $.75 coupon!)
1/4 green pepper ($.25)
1/2 onion ($.10)
1 large sprig of fresh cilantro ($.25)
Adobo Seasoning ($.25)
1/2 cup frozen veggies ($.25)
Traditional Sides: Salad with avocado slices, fried chicken, tostones (twice fried plantains), potato salad, macaroni salad, cabbage slaw salad
1. Rinse beans in colander. Soak beans overnight in lukewarm or for at least
2 hours in HOT water. Drain beans. Replace beans in pot (the pot you see in the pictures is from the DR!) and cover with at least 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly (I set mine to 8 on my burner) and let boil/simmer for 1.5 hours, or until soft. You will add seasonings as they are cooking (see #4!) Keep an eye on the water level, and add water more if necessary.
2. In saucepan or medium pot, add 2-3 Tbsp oil. Turn on heat. When oil starts to bubble, add rice. Stir rice through to cover it all with oil. Stir rice continuously for approximately one minute. Some rice kernals will turn color and brown slightly. This is your cue. Add 2.5-3 cups HOT water and stir. Once it returns to a boil reduce heat (6-7 on my stove) and cook for 20 minutes. If all the water has not boiled off, cook a little longer.
3. Rice will “sizzle” once its reached the right “consistency” (I didn’t know rice had a consistency! What I mean is that the right amount of water will have boiled off.) Cover rice with a trash bag. WHY??? I assume to keep the rice nice and moist, until its ready to be served!
4. Thinly slice and dice green pepper and onion. After beans have been cooking for about an hour, add tomato paste, diced green pepper and onion. Add seasoning and cilantro sprig (you can remove it later if you like). Let the beans finish boiling (another 30 minutes), giving the flavors time to mix and mingle!
5. Scoop rice onto plate and ladle beans with lots of juice over the rice. Serve with favorite side of vegetables.