Sambal Prawn with Bitter Beans (Sambal Udang Petai) - Syarizan Adzlinda Mohd Zin, MALAYSIA
Why I Love This Recipe
Recipe and picture credit to Asian Food Channel (AFC) & Chef Wan from the show Best Wan!
Ingredients You'll Need
- 0.3 cup / 2⅗ fl oz vegetable oil
- 0.2 cup / 1½ fl oz tamarind juice (assam juice) - mix tamarind pulp with hot water,strain
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 40 bitter beans or stink beans (petai), peeled
- 1 kg of medium-sized prawns, shelled
- 6 tablespoons / 3 fl oz sugar
- Salt to taste
Paste (to be finely ground):
- 10 shallots, peeled (red onions)
- 30 dried chillies, soaked in hot water to soften and drain
- 1 tablespoon / ½ fl oz roasted shrimp paste (belacan)
- 1 cup water
1. Heat cooking oil in a wok, add paste and stir-fry till fragrant and oil begins to appear on the surface.
2. Add in bitter beans and fresh prawns. Then pour in tamarind juice and palm sugar.
3. Cook for several minutes, add salt to taste and water to prevent burning.
4. Dish onto a serving plate when prawns are cooked. Best served with fragrant rice.
Pairs Well With
White fragrant rice.