Simple lemony spring greens WITH A SUPER-QUICK LEMON DRESSING
Why I Love This Recipe
“A brilliant little side dish – the lemony dressing transforms these simple greens into a zesty delight. ”
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
500 g spring greens
Using a microplane, finely grate the lemon zest onto a chopping board, then transfer to a jam jar.
2. ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼Cut the lemon in half.
3. ￼￼￼Squeeze half the juice into the jar, using your fingers to catch any pips (keep the remaining lemon for another recipe).
4. Add the extra virgin olive oil to the jar with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Put the lid securely on the jar and shake well.
6. Have a taste and see whether you think it needs a bit more lemon juice or oil – you want it to be slightly too acidic, so that it’s still nice and zingy once you’ve dressed your spring greens.
7. Half-fill a large saucepan with cold water and add a tiny pinch of salt.
8. Place on a high heat and bring to the boil. Meanwhile...
9. Trim and cut the spring greens in half lengthways, then finely slice them.
10. Once the water is boiling, carefully add the spring greens and cook for 3 to 4 minutes,
or until tender but still bright green in colour.
11. Once cooked, drain the spring greens over the sink into a colander, steam dry for a minute, then tip back into the pan.
12. Give the dressing another good shake up, then drizzle it over the greens.
13. Using tongs, gently toss the spring greens in the dressing while they’re still hot to help them soak up all the dressing, then transfer to a bowl and serve straight away.
This zesty lemon dressing works nicely on fresh crisp salads as well as other boiled or steamed greens, such as savoy cabbage or pak choi.