Why I Love This Recipe
Sol kadi is a refreshing drink from Goa, konkan costal Maharashtra. It is often served with Malvani thali or spicy non veg food due to its cooling properties. It helps with acidity as kokum cures pitta as per Ayurveda. It has a vibrant pink color and is perfect for hot summers.
Ingredients You'll Need
12 dried kokums(Garcinia indica)
1 cup fresh coconut grated
2 cups water
1 tbsp oil
½ tbsp cumin seeds
¼ pinch of asafoetida
3-4 medium size garlic cloves slightly crushed
4-5 curry leaves
½ tsp fresh coriander chopped
Salt to taste
A pinch of sugar or as per taste
1. Add kokum in 1 cup of water and let it soak for 30 minutes.
2. After 30mins squeeze the kokum with hand completely to extract juices and strain this water through a muslin cloth.
3. In a blender take grated coconut and add water in parts to make paste. Add enough water to this as needed since we need to extract fresh milk out of this.
4. Now strain this coconut mixture through fine sieve or muslin cloth to get coconut milk
5. You can also use 2 cups coconut milk and skips step 3&4 totally. However use of fresh milk is recommended.
6. Mix both kokum extract and coconut milk to this add salt, sugar as required.
7. Now let’s make tempering for our solkadi.
8. Heat a pan add oil , to this add cumin seeds. Then add garlic and let is sauté for 10-20 seconds.
9. Now add asafoetida and curry leaves.
10. Add this tempering to our solkadi and mix well.
11. Chill and serve this drink, garnish with coriander while serving.
12. Leftover drink can be kept in fridge and it stays good for about 2days.