Southern Corn Bread Dressing
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 8 cup cubed corn bread or packaged corn bread stuffing mix
* 4 tablespoon olive oil or butter
* 2 item medium-size onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
* 3 item medium-size celery ribs, chopped fine or sliced
* 1 item small green bell pepper, seeded, diced
* 1 item small red or orange bell pepper, diced
* 1 tablespoon rubbed (dry crumbled) sage
* 2 teaspoon dried thyme or
* 2 tablespoon fresh Salt and ground black pepper to taste
* 1-2 cup defatted turkey or chicken broth, depending on desired moistness
Heat oven to 350°F. Place corn bread in large bowl.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add
onions, celery and both bell peppers. Cook, stirring,
until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Add to corn
bread. Toss until well combined. Stir in broth until
stuffing is lightly moist but not packed together. Turn
into a large, shallow buttered baking dish. Bake,
uncovered, until top is crusty and dressing is heated
through, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Use olive oil instead of a stick (or two) of butter to sauté seasonings, such as onion, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms. Choose canned low-fat chicken or turkey broth to moisten the dressing. Bake in a casserole dish or pan instead of inside the bird so it doesn’t absorb the melting turkey fat. Drop 101 calories per serving.