Spice Honey Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe was a trial-and-error attempt to replicate the honey cake recipe of my husband's grandmother. I didn't succeed with the consistency, but the flavor was so nice, I decided to use this instead.
Ingredients You'll Need
3.5 c all purpose flour, sifted
1 t baking soda
1 T baking powder
0.5 t kosher salt
2-3 t ground cinnamon
0.5 t ground cloves
0.5 t nutmeg
0.5 t allspice
1 c sugar
0.5 c brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
0.5 c vegetable oil (e.g. canola) + 2 t melted butter (optional)
1 c honey (use the same measuring cup used to measure the oil to make it pour out better)
1 T molasses
1 c coffee, freshly brewed (let cool before adding though, or you'll cook your eggs)
2 t vanilla
0.25 c whisky or brandy (excluded to be kid-friendly)
0.5 c orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease 1 bundt pan/sheet/cake pan, or 2 bread pans. Set aside.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed.
4. Gradually add the wet ingredients while running the mixer.
5. Once the ingredients are mixed well, they should form a nice thick chestnut-colored batter.
6. Pour the batter into the greased pan(s), using a rubber or silicone spatula.
7. Bake for about an hour, but test with a clean dry knife. If it comes out clean, it's done.
8. Remove and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Alternatives: You can make this the "traditional" way: fit bread pans with greased paper bags. This prevents a crust forming.grandma made it: grease paper bags and fit them into the pans. Or leave out the spirits altogether, add dried fruit to the batter, add sliced almonds on top of the cake, or dust with sifted powdered sugar.