Spicy Beef and Bean Chili
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 medium onions, chopped
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1/2 to 1 hot chile pepper - jalapeno, serrano, or habanero,
seeded and minced
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/3 cup pure mild chili powder
* 3 pounds coarsely ground beef
* 1 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or Italian leaf oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice, or chili
* 2 cups beef broth
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
* 1 cup (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 3 to 4 tablespoons tequila
* shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
* sour cream, optional
* canned nacho-sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
In a large Dutch oven or kettle, cook the onions in the oil, covered,
over medium heat. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally,
until the onions are golden, but not browned, about 5 minutes longer.
Add the garlic, minced chile peppers, and ground cumin. Cook, stirring
often, for about 2 minutes. Add the chili powder and cook, stirring
constantly, for 1 minutes.
Add the ground beef, oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the
meats are no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes,
stock, cayenne, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to
medium-low, and simmer, with cover slightly ajar, for about 1 1/2 hours.
Add the beans, crushing some of them against the side of the pot to help
thicken the chili. Add the tequila and season with additional salt and
cayenne to taste. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Good or better when reheated and freezes well for up to 3 months, though
it may need an extra dash of cayenne before serving.
Top each serving with shredded cheese, a teaspoon of sour cream, and
jalapeno pepper slices, if desired.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
Disney's Tinker Bell Secret of the Wings CookbookBy BakeSpace Fairies
6 Recipes489 Downloads