Spinach Polenta with Mushrooms, Leek, and Poached Egg
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
• 4 cups (1L) water
• 2 cups (500 mL) chopped spinach
• 1 cup (250 mL) polenta
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
• 1 lb (500 g) fresh mixed mushrooms (portabella, shiitake, oyster), coarsely chopped
• 1 large leek (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced• 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
• 1/2 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tbsp (7 mL) white vinegar
• Water for poaching
1. Polenta: Bring water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in chopped spinach, then slowly add polenta while whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until polenta is smooth, about 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook polenta 25 to 30 minutes. Whisk often. Remove from heat and add butter, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Mushrooms: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add leek and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and butter; heat until butter is melted. Add white wine vinegar and stir until the liquid evaporates, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set mushrooms aside.
3. Poached egg: In a large saucepan, bring 3 inches of water and a splash of white vinegar to a simmer over medium-low heat. Crack 1 egg into a small bowl. Gently stir water in a circle and then gently slip egg into water. Poach about 3 to 4 minutes, then remove egg with a slotted spoon and pat dry. Repeat with remaining eggs.
4. To assemble, spoon polenta into bowl, top with mushroom and leek mixture, and then top with poached egg. Tip: Add optional garnishes like fresh chopped chives, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Omelet/Frittatas