Stir Fry Ginger Beef
Why I Love This Recipe
This came from the recipe site "Simply Recipes". I revised it a bit because the recipe calls for 2-3 serrano peppers, preferably red. I used 2 green ones but it was still way too much heat and I believe most people will find 1 quite enough. Japapenos can also be used or any pepper with heat. Also, I use any 2 steaks that are in my freezer replacing the top sirloin in the recipe below.
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
5 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS honey
1 TBS peeled & grated fresh ginger
1 tsp. chili pepper flakes
1 tsp. ground cumin
BEEF & STIR FRY:
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs. top sirloin steak (I use any 2 steaks I have in my freezer)
1 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 TBS sesame oil
3 - 4 green onions, cut diagonally into 1/2" slices, including green parts
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 serrano pepper, cut in quarters, removing seeds and membrane
1 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
1. Chill the steak in the freezer for 30 minutes before you slice it which will make it easier to cut in thin slices. Slice the steak first crosswise in 1/2" thick slices. Then cut each slice lengthwise into strips.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients: soy sauce, vinegar, grated giner, honey, red chile flakes, and cum. Mix the beef in with the marinade to coat and let it sit for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours, in the fridge.
3. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 12 TBS. of cold water to make a slurry.
4. Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat until it is nearly smoking. As the oil is heating up, pat the beef dry and separate it into small batches no larger than what can fit into the palm of your hand. Working in batches, saute beef until just brown outside but rare inside, no more than 1 minute. Transfer beef to a bowl.
5. When all the beef is cooked, put the chiles and garlic into the pan and stir fry 30-45 seconds. Add the julienned ginger and cook for 30-45 seconds more. Add the beef back to the pan. Add the cornstarch slurry. Add the scallions and mix everything together. Cook for 1 minute. Turn the heat off and mix in the cilantro. Serve at once with steam white rice.