Strawberries and Cream Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons flour
5 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons strawberry jell-o mix, dry
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (or milk mixed with lemon juice--check notes)
2/3 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 (8 ounces) package of full-fat cream cheese (don't use low fat), at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4- 4 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 and 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 and 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
2. Beat the room temperature butter with hand mixers until light and creamy. Slowly add in the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy,
3. In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs and then add the mixture and mix along with the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Beat in the buttermilk.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cornstarch 2-3 times and then add in the jell-o mix, baking soda, and salt. It is important to separate bowls so the cake isn't over-beaten which will result in a dense cake.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat at low speed until just combined.
6. Remove the stems from the strawberries and finely chop. Add in the finely chopped strawberries to the cake.
7. Pour the batter evenly in the prepared 9 x 13 pan.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
9. Cool the cake for at least one hour and then chill in the fridge for another hour.
11. Beat the softened butter and room temperature cream cheese until completely creamy. Beat in the vanilla. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth and your desired consistency.
12. Spread the frosting over the cake
13. Sugared Strawberry topping (optional)
14. Stir together the sliced strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl. Let them stand at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. Add them to the cake ONLY when serving and not beforehand.