Sweet Dark Cherry Clafoutis
Why I Love This Recipe
Sweet dark summer cherries are now in the market. This dessert showcases them beautifully!
Ingredients You'll Need
butter or baking spray
1 lb. dark sweet cherries, pitted
1 c. whole milk
1/4 c. heavy cream (I used half and half)
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 c. granulated sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 c. sifted cake flour
confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Casually arrange the pitted cherries in the bottom on the dish.
2. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the milk and cream until you can begin to smell it and small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan.
3. While milk and cream are warming, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, salt, and almond extract until creamy.
4. Once milk mixture has come to temperature, remove the pan from the heat and vigorously whisk in the flour, a bit at a time, until no lumps remain. Pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the milk mixture to temper, then whisk tempered milk mixture back into the egg mixture. Pour over the cherries.
5. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake until browned, 45-55 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool just a bit. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.