Sweet Potato Mulligatawny
Why I Love This Recipe
A favorite from the "Souper" Luncheon!
Submitted by Mary Dunning
Ingredients You'll Need
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 cups chopped yellow onion
2 cups chopped red bell peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeño chilies
-Kosher salt to taste
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/4 cup minced ginger
2 Tbsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
3 Tbsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
1/4 cup curry powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup sherry
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
10 cups chicken broth
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 pounds pulled cooked chicken
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- crumbled goat cheese for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, jalapeño chills and kosher salt and sauté for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and light brown.
2. Stir in the cumin, coriander, curry powder and crushed red pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the sherry, stirring to deglaze the stockpot. Cook until the mixture is reduced by 90 percent and is almost dry.
3. Add the flour and whisk to incorporate well. Cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and then stir in the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Process the mixture with an immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk, orange juice, lime juice and cream. Return to the stockpot if using a food processor.
5. Add the chicken and cilantro and season with kosher salt. Cook until heated through. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with goat cheese.