Texas Pete® Hush Puppies w/ Cheddar Cheese & Bacon
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is inspired by the heat of summer. It is the perfect side dish for any outdoor cookout!
Ingredients You'll Need
• 2 tbsp Texas Pete® Hot Sauce
• 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa, drained, pulsed in food processor
• Peanut, grapeseed or canola oil for frying
• 1 1/4 cups white cornmeal
• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 tsp garlic, minced
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, thick shred
• 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
• To taste kosher salt for finishing
1. Preheat fryer to 350 degrees or pour 4 inches of oil into a deep, heavy pot. Clip a candy thermometer on the side of the pot and bring to 350 degrees over medium-high heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, garlic, Texas Pete® Hot Sauce and Green Mountain Gringo® Medium Salsa. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
4. Add cheese and bacon. Mix until just combined.
5. Using 2 tablespoons or a #30 scoop, carefully drop balls of batter into fryer. Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked through.
6. Transfer to paper towel lined sheet tray and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately.