Tinga de Pollo (Chicken in chipotle tomato sauce)
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
- 1 onion
- 2 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (more if needed)
- 4 or so tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- chipotle in adobo sauce (amount varies on personal taste and spice level)
- 1/2 cup of the chicken stock (depends on personal preference this could be left out if needed)
- salt and pepper
sour cream, lettuce optional for toppings
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the chicken breast to cook. Let the chicken simmer until is cooked through.
2. Make sure you skim the foam that forms on top of the water as it starts boiling.
3. While the chicken is cooking, slice the onions.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook the onion until soft and translucent for about 5-6 minutes.
5. In a blender, throw the tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and 2-3 chipotle chiles from the can. Be careful with the chiles. the recipe calls for the entire can of Chipotle, but it can be too powerful and spicy for many, so its better to add less in the beginning and add more as you see fit.
6. After blending the ingredients, taste the salsa for salt and pepper and adjust the amount of salt and pepper.
7. Pour the salsa over onions.
8. Let the sauce simmer on a low heat while you take the chicken out of the water.
9. DO NOT throw away the chicken stock. You can add some of it to the sauce if it happens to be too spicy.
10. Take two forks and shred the chicken.
11. Add it to the sauce and mix well to incorporate the chicken.
12. Let it simmer for only a minute and serve over rice or on warm tortillas.