Urad Chana Dal – Maa Chole ki Dal Recipe
"This day-to-day recipe only take 15 minutes to set-up IP and only a few ingredients, most of which are usually readily available in pantry."Serves 4 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 20 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
Simple and quick Instant Pot recipe for Urad Chana Dal, i.e. lentil soup made of a mix Black gram and Bengal gram lentils. Urad chana dal (lentil soup) is usually accompanied with rice, missi roti, tikda, bajra roti or famous cornmeal dumplings. In today’s modern health conscious world, some people just like to relish it as a soup that is rich in protein and fiber.
Ingredients You'll Need
-1/3 cup Bengal gram lentil Chana dal– 1/3 cup
-2/3 cup Black gram lentil Urad dal – 2/3 cup
-250 gm Tomato 2 finely diced
-200 gm Onion 1 medium size finely diced
-20 gm Ginger 1 inch piece grated
-5 gm Green chilies 3 to 4 chopped or slit
-15 Cilantro Handful chopped
-2 tsp Oil Clarified butter or Ghee preferred – 2 tbs
-1 tbsp Lime – juice of 1 to 2 limes
-4 cup Water can be varied depending on desired consistency
1. Start the instant pot on SAUTE mode and heat ghrr/oil in it.
2. Add asafetida and cumin seeds and let the seeds splutter
3. Then add cloves, green chili, ginger and saute for 30 seconds
4. Then add diced onion.
5. Saute until onions are translucent.
6. Now add tomatoes and saute until soft and mushy.
7. Add all the spices except garam masala and lemon juice and mix them.
8. Wash the lentils for 3-4 extracts of water and then add them to the cooking pan.
9. Press CANCEL and close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position.
10. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK mode for 0 minutes and let the pressure release naturally(NR)
11. When float valves pops down, open the lid, add garam masala and lemon juice.
12. Urad-chana dal is ready to be served.
13. For extra rich look and flavors, add tamper from the top.