Why I Love This Recipe
Vegan Italian isn't easy, but sometimes you can really make something work! I was craving stuffed shells after work the other night and stoffed at the supermarket to get what I needed. An hour later, I was so happy I did!
Ingredients You'll Need
1 package of firm tofu
a couple tablespoons of roasted tomatoes
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 large red bell pepper , chopped
1 handful or so of washed baby spinach
1/2 large onion, chopped
16 oz. of tomato sauce
8 or 9 cooked manicotti, jumbo shells, or 12 lasagna noodles, cooked
2 tbsp dried parsely
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp powdered garlic
3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
smoked paprika to taste (my secret weapon to doctor tomato sauce!)
salt and pepper to taste
a handful of Daiya "mozzarella"
1. Cook your noodles al dente! Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a food processor smooth 1/2 of the tofu block and then combine with the other half, using the tines of a fork to crumble the remaining tofu. Add in the parsley, garlic, oregano, nutritional yeast, roasted tomatoes, and baby spinach.
3. Sautee veggies hardest to softest: onion, then pepper and squash. I like mine a little carmelized! Add the tomato sauce! Doctor store bought tomato sauce or break out your own! This is where I add the paprika!
4. Assemble! If you're making stuffed shells, fill your pasta with the tofu mixture. If you're making lasagna, you can layer. I usually layer with sauce, tofu, noodle 2x and top with a layer of tofu.
5. If you want a melty layer, add a handful of Daiya scattered across the top. Throw it in the oven to warm up the tofu filling and melt any topping.
6. Serve and enjoy!