Why I Love This Recipe
FEATURING: Sweet peppers, zucchini (and/or pattypan), onions (fresh or storage onion), and cherry tomatoes.
These vegetable skewers make for a super simple meal that's packed with flavor. BBQ, bake, grill, or grill-pan these veggie tofu skewers to lightly caramelized perfection!
We like to serve them with diced oven-baked potatoes, corn and homemade bread buns (for a quick recipe, try this 10-minute dough: https://tastegreatfoodie.com/ten-minute-all-purpose-dough/)
Recipe slightly adapted from Elavegan: https://elavegan.com/tofu-vegetable-kabobs/#recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
TOFU & VEGGIES
454 g of firm tofu
1-2 sweet pepper, cut in large retables (approx. same width as tofu)
1/2 zucchini (and/or pattypan), cut in half or quarter-moon pieces approx. 1/2 inch think
1 onion (fresh or storage), cut in half and then in quarters
4 cherry tomatoes, cut in half (or more, to taste)
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce or Tamari
2 tbsp (32 g) peanut butter melted
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp BBQ Sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 garlic clove, chopped (optional)
3 tbsp water
PEANUT SAUCE - for serving (optional)
1/3 cup (80 g) creamy or chunky peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar or lime juice (or lemon juice)
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
1-2 small cloves of garlic grated
2-3 tbsp water, to thin
1 pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
8 wood or bamboo skewers pre-soaked in water (see instructions) (alternatively, use metal skewers that are ok for the BBQ)
TOFU & VEGGIES
* Drain the tofu (optional but it will grill better): Place the tofu between a kitchen towel and place a heavy pan on top. Press for about 30 minutes. You can cut the tofu into cubes before pressing or after.
* Add all marinade ingredients (except the water) to a bowl and mix thoroughly with a whisk. Add the water in 3 portions, mixing in between. Set aside.
* Transfer the veggies and tofu to a shallow dish and add the marinade. Carefully stir with a spatula to cover the veggies/tofu with the marinade from all sides.
* Marinate in the refrigerator for about 60 minutes (or overnight if preparing the recipe one day in advance).
SOAK THE WOOD OR BAMBOO SKEWERS
* At the same time soak wood or bamboo skewers in water for 30-60 minutes.
MAKE THE PEANUT SAUCE (make it ahead to save time)
* Add all ingredients to a mason jar. Close lid. Shake well until all mixed.
* Drain the marinade into a bowl (keep it as you will need to brush the skewers as they cook) and thread the veggies and cubes of tofu onto skewers. We like to add them in this order on each skewer: red pepper, zucchini (and/or pattypan), onion, tofu. Repeat this order twice. Then add a half cherry tomato on top.
* Repeat this last step for all skewers.
COOK ON THE BBQ
* Heat your BBQ. Meanwhile, brush skewers with a little oil (using a silicone brush- optional but may help stick less) and place the skewers in. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side (brushing with the marinade in between) until the vegetables start getting a light char and the tofu turns golden brown.
* Remove from the BBQ and serve with peanut sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
COOK IN A PAN
* Heat a grill pan, brush it with a little oil (using a silicone brush) and place the skewers in. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side (brushing with the marinade in between) until the vegetables start getting a light char and the tofu turns golden brown.
* Remove from the pan and serve with peanut sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
* Preheat the oven to 390 F (200 C) and place the skewers in a baking dish.
* Pour the remaining marinade over the skewers and bake for about 25 minutes, flipping once after 15 minutes.
* Remove from the oven and serve with peanut sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh herbs. Enjoy!