Very Sweet and Sour Pork
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1½ pounds pork butt cut into 1” cubes
1 cup + 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
1 quart + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or if you can afford it, peanut oil)
4 stalks celery cut into ½” pieces
2 slivered carrots, slightly precooked in microwave
1 ½ large green peppers cut into 1” pieces
1 large onion cut into wedges
Salt, pepper, and a little sugar (to taste)
1 (15-ounce) can pineapple chunks with juice (reserved juice for sauce)
⅓ cup water
1½ teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
2 egg whites
3 chopped green onions
Reserved pineapple juice + enough water to make 1¼ cups liquid
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup ketchup
½ cup cider vinegar
¾ teaspoon soy sauce
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and place pork cubes in bowl; cover and marinade for at least 1 hour.
2. Combine all sauce ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil; set aside until pork is fried.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok on medium heat; cook vegetables until tender then set aside. Add salt, pepper, and a little sugar (to taste).
4. Coat pork cubes in 1 cup of cornstarch.
5. Heat 1-quart of vegetable oil in deep fryer or large heavy pan to 365° F. When hot, fry pork for 10 minutes; drain pork on paper towels.
6. After pork is fried, and when about ready to serve, add pork to saucepan with the pineapple chunks; bring to a simmer and heat thoroughly.
7. Before serving, add remaining 2½ tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water; simmer until thickened, but do not cook.
8. Serve over rice