West Coast Style Fish and Chips
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
• 4 lbs (2 kg) salmon fillet, skin removed
• 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
• 2 cups (500 mL) flour
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground black pepper
• 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
• 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• Sea salt
• Garlic powder
• Olive oil
• Lemon wedges
• Optional: vegetable oil
• Optional: tartar sauce or honey malt vinegar
1. Combine flour, pepper, paprika and chili powder in a large bowl. Carefully fold the beaten eggs into the dry mixture to create a smooth, thick batter.
2. Slice salmon into thin strips. Dip strips into the batter one at a time making sure to get a thick layer on each; use your hands if necessary.
3. If frying, heat a thick layer of vegetable oil in a deep frying pan. Place battered salmon strips into hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd. Turn occasionally, cooking until golden-brown, about 8 minutes.
If baking, heat oven to 425°F. Brush olive oil on a baking sheet, then place battered salmon strips on sheet. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
4. To make the chips, preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the sweet potatoes into strips — thin strips for crispier fries and thicker wedges for softer ones. Place on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil, sea salt and garlic powder. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove sheet, turn fries and place in oven for another 10 minutes, until fries have light brown edges.
5. Serve with a lemon wedge and tartar sauce or honey malt vinegar. Add a fresh green salad for extra veggies.