Wheat and Dairy Free Sugar Cookies
Why I Love This Recipe
My son has wheat and cow's milk allergies, which means baked treats can be a challenge. Other moms from his preschool class and I are planning a Halloween party for the class and they asked me if there were any sugar cookies he could eat so the class could do a cookie decorating project at the party. I didn't know of a recipe, so I adapted one to make it work. For wheat and dairy free cookies, they are pretty good. I wanted to share this recipe since I know many people who are wheat free, gluten free, or dairy free have a tough time finding decent cookie recipes!
Ingredients You'll Need
2/3 cup Crisco all vegetable shortening - regular or butter flavored
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Hodgson Mill baking mix
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Mix shortening, sugar, and vanilla at a medium speed until well blended.
2. Beat egg into mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together Hodgson Mill baking mix, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Mix dry ingredients into shortening mixture at low speed until well blended.
5. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
6. Heat oven to 375.
7. Place 1/2 of dough in a ball on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap and roll out the dough - not too thin as these cookies can be difficult to move to the cookie sheet without tearing.
8. Cut with cookie cutters and sprinkle with sugar (or don't do the sugar if you plan to ice them).
9. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for approx. 8 minutes or until set.
10. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
The Official "Burnt" Movie CookbookBy Burnt Movie Cookbook
7 Recipes51222 Downloads